Immigration Lawyer Kansas City | Kentner Wyatt, LLC
page-template,page-template-full_width,page-template-full_width-php,page,page-id-14,page-child,parent-pageid-8,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-theme-ver-7.5,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-5.1.1,vc_responsive


Navigate Naturalization With Ease By Using An Immigration Lawyer In Kansas City

Adjust your immigration status. Protect your rights. By becoming a U.S. citizen, you gain many rights that permanent residents or others do not have, including the right to vote. Citizenship provides many benefits, but also involves many responsibilities. The decision to become a U.S. citizen through naturalization is important. In most cases, a person who wants to naturalize must first be a permanent resident.


To be eligible for naturalization, you must first meet certain requirements set by United States law. Kentner Wyatt, LLC and it’s staff can help you with this process to ensure that the correct forms and process are followed to allow for you or your relative to become a resident or resident as fast as possible.


What are the basic requirements to apply for naturalization?

Generally, to be eligible for naturalization you must:

  1. Be age 18 or older.
  2. Be a permanent resident for a certain amount of time (usually 5 years but less for some individuals).
  3. Be a person of good moral character.
  4. Have a basic knowledge of U.S. history and government.
  5. Have a period of continuous residence and physical presence in the United States.
  6. Be able to read, write and speak basic English.


There are exceptions to this rule for someone who:

  1. Is 55 years old and has been a permanent resident for at least 15 years; or
  2. Is 50 years old and has been a permanent resident for at least 20 years; or
  3. Has a permanent physical or mental impairment that makes the individual unable to fulfill these requirements.


When can I apply for naturalization?

You may be able to apply for naturalization if:

  1. You are at least 18 years of age and have been a permanent resident of the United States For at least 5 years.
  2. Or for at least 3 years during which time you have been, and continue to be, married to and living in a marriage relationship with your U.S. citizen spouse.
  3. Or while currently serving honorably in the U.S. military, with at least 1 year of service, and you apply for citizenship while in the military, or within 6 months of discharge. Certain spouses of U.S. citizens, and those who served in the U.S.military during a past war or are serving currently in combat may be able to file for naturalization sooner than noted above.


I am a U.S. Citizen. How do I help my help my relative become a U.S. Permanent Resident?

As a citizen of the United States, you may help a relative become a lawful permanent resident of the United States by obtaining what is often referred to as a “green card.” To do so, you need to sponsor your relative and be able to prove that you have enough income or assets to support your relative(s) when they come to the United States. Kentner Wyatt, LLC can help you with this process to ensure that the correct forms and process are followed to allow for your relative to become a resident as fast as possible.


Which relatives may I petition for?

A U.S. citizen can file a petition for the following relatives:

  1. Husband or wife.
  2. Children, married or unmarried.


A U.S. citizen who is at least 21 years or older may also petition for the following relatives:

When you submit your petition, you are required to provide evidence to prove your relationship to the person for whom you are filing.

  1. Parents.
  2. Brothers or sisters.


After I file, how long will it take before my relative can immigrate?

The law gives special consideration to immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, which includes a U.S. citizen’s spouse, unmarried children under 21 years of age, and parents. There is no waiting list to immigrate these relatives. The U.S. Department of State will invite them to apply for an immigrant visa as soon as they approve your petition. If your petition has been approved, and your relatives are currently in the United States after making a legal entry (and they meet certain other requirements), they may be able to file applications with USCIS to adjust to permanent resident status.


For other relatives, the combination of high demand and the limits set by law on how many people can immigrate each year means your relative may have to wait several years “in line” while petitions that were filed before theirs are processed. When your relative reaches the “front of the line,” the U.S. Department of State contacts your relative and invites him or her to apply for an immigrant visa.


Current wait times for visa categories are available under “Visa Bulletins” on the State Department’s website at

Se Habla Español

Consultations are always free. Call or email today. Get a fresh start in life.